How to Avoid Injury When Weight Training
We have a lot of clients come see us after they’ve hurt themselves in the gym. Here are some things you can do to reduce your risk of injury when lifting weights:
- Warm-up first! Lift light weights through a full range of motion before getting to heavier loads.
- If the exercise is new, or you haven’t worked out in a while — go light!
- Do not ignore pain! A sense of fatigue or challenge is good, pain is not. Lighten the load, stop the exercise, or better yet — seek help from a professional like the physical therapists at The Recovery Room.
- Do not lift heavy loads without proper form, learned from a trained instructor.
- Vary your exercise. It balances your body, promotes stability & keeps you from getting bored.
Exercise smart & have fun!